Platypus Journey

Friday, September 29, 2006

A memorial weekend 08-14-2006

Well, this weekend I spent with my mother-in-law, while she took care of some things for her best friend who recently died after a protracted illness. Every year, my MIL and her friend went to this charity high-tea out in Kelso, WA. The two charities support families in need, one is a family homeless shelter and the other provides new school supplies to kids in need.

The weather was lovely, but since we are having one of the driest summers on record (the next dry one was in 1960) It's been a lovely summer, but man I miss the rain!

Anyway, we went to the second sitting for the tea, which is the one that they always went too. I know it was hard for my MIL, especially since she brought several tea things to give to the Tea Lady.

We had several things that she needed to do. The next day we were going to go to their church, but we didn't sleep well, so we didn't go. She'd neglected to tell me that that was part of the plan, so I wasn't prepared. Pagans don't really attend church...my in-laws are Lutherans, but I've never been to a Lutheran service. Oh well. I didn't pack any "church" clothes...

So, we slept in, and went to breakfast at this cute little place, with ginormous portions. Since I'm unfilled I had heavenly French toast! ok, I had 1/2 piece of French toast and some bacon, but man, have I missed French toast ! We met the friend's son and his family for breakfast. It was pretty funny, I thought we were going to be eating with Church ladies, but my MIL headed straight for the table with the tough burly biker-looking dude sitting by himself. Massive tattoos on his biceps framed by his black tee-shirt, in the wife-beater style... Not the usual "type" of person my in-laws associate with! Nothing "proper" about him, but he was the nicest guy. I took pity on their 11 year-old grandson. The poor kid had to try to entertain himself quietly with a spoon and paper-napkin. I gave him my PDA to play with. I just couldn't sit there and let that kid be miserable... I know how it was with my son... Ah yes, I made a friend right then!

We spent a good chunk of the afternoon going to boxes and bags of the Friends things. Looking through the remains of a long life. The life of a stranger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home