Platypus Journey

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Corn syrup induced binge 1/25/5

Last night I had an “ah-hah!” moment. Of course, this was after I wanted to eat everything in my apartment. While I didn’t actually eat everything, I feel like I came damn close. I’m not a huge binger, more a grazer, and normally I feel full after a “normal” portion size. Not last night though. What the hell? This isn’t my normal pattern….

So, I went back over what I’d eaten during the day, and found the culprit. It was the root beer I’d had at about 4:00 in the afternoon. I’m not one much for sodas or other fizzy drinks, (lift or otherwise…), so a soda for me is quite the rarity. Actually, it wasn’t the root beer itself so much as the corn syrup it was made with. The corn syrup caught me off guard, since I assumed the root beer had been made with cane sugar and not corn syrup. My dear husband brought me a full case of mixed root beers made with cane sugar on one of his visits out here. I had assumed that all the sodas in the box were cane sugar sweetened and not corn syrup.

Why is this such a big deal? Well, on one of my attempts to loose the 10 dress sizes I had worked with a good nutritionist and a good program that was very hard. Sure I lost 30 pounds and 2 sizes, but well I think we all know how that story turns out…. The first part of the program removed all food from your diet and then you gradually added foods back with the lowest glycimic indexed foods first, and the higher ones later. By gradually, I mean only one are two foods a week. Yeah, serious stuff. Anyway, from this process I learned that eating corn makes me ravenously hungry. Soy has a similar affect, so I suppose it is a good thing I’m not a Veggie…

I can eat corn, but I have to plan for it. I have to eat protein and fat before eating the corn or I’m toast. I’d had the root beer without anything, not realizing that it had corn syrup.

Anyway, I thought I would share this “ah-hah!” I’ve read several posts where people were binging and they didn’t know why and couldn’t stop and hated themselves for not being able to control themselves. It is possible that you might have a food sensitivity and not realize it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home