Platypus Journey

Saturday, September 23, 2006

WSL intro so long ago

I had originally posted this to the weight loss surgery board I joined before I had the lap band. I was so full of bright hope that I would finally be able to lose weight.


Okay, here goes. 12/30/04


My surgery is scheduled for mid-March. It would be sooner, except that is Spring Break and I’m a full time student.

My BMI is over 40, and I have acute asthma. Turns out, there is a type of asthma that is exacerbated by weight, and I’m sure tired of spending time in the hospital because I can’t breathe. After the last stint in the hospital (and the steroids) I gained another 15 pounds, so I’m now about 275 pounds and a size 22/24. Not terribly happy about that. I don’t have an eating disorder, which is apparently unusual for someone my size. The various medications, sleep apnea and major stress have all wreaked havoc on me.

I am hoping that the weight loss using the Band will help with my other health issues. I haven’t seen anyone else talk about the effect the surgery has had on their fibromyalgia, and I hope to see some added relief for that too.

I’m also looking forward to being able to be more active. I currently (okay, before the last stint in the hospital) walk 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week (hoofing it around campus) and I was doing Pilates twice a week. This semester I am adding horseback riding. I was really looking forward to going skiing this Christmas break, but well, stupid asthma….. Okay, for a fat gurl, I guess I’m not doing so bad in the activity department when I can breathe.

I don’t have a goal weight. I had to learn the hard way that weight is meaningless. I do have a goal size: 12 or 14. Probably size 12 pants and 14 top. I want to go into the shops and buy a bra that actually fits me.


My band research has been a little unorthodox. My husband (Mr. Research) got the band 18 months ago. And so far, he’s lost 170 pounds. When he finally got the band he weighed 600 pounds. Okay, the official weight was 596, which is close enough to call it 600. So he’s got some way to go.

Well, thanks for letting me take up such bandwidth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home